Lady Justice Martha Koome was born in 1960 in Kithiu village,Meru County.
She is married to Koome Kiragu and is a mother of 3 adult children.
In 1986 she was admitted to the High Court of Kenya and started as a legal associate at Mathenge and Muchemi advocates and proceeded to open her own law firm in 1993.
She has served in various prominent positions including:
- Council member of LSK(1993-1996)
- Court of Appeal Judge in 2012
- Chairperson of the Kenya Magistrates and Judges Association(2012)
- Runner up in the 2020 United Nations person of the year
- Inaugral Treasurer in the East Africa Law Society (1994-1996)
- Chairperson of FIDA
Lady Justice Martha Koome has also played a big role in the defence of Human and Gender rights highlighted several times in her career when she took part in the clamour for the repeal of punitive clauses in the constitution.
Courtesy of Wikipedia
Having practiced law for last 35years and considering her impressive exposure I would agree that she is the right candidate for the position of Chief Justice.
Author: Eric Njaramba
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.