Emergency Information Management Assistant- Garissa
Host Entity: UNICEF Country: Kenya Duty Station:Garissa (KEN)
Start Date:Immediate Duration:12 months
Application Deadline:31 August 2020
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Zonal Office, Garissa, who is also the Garissa Humanitarian Hub Lead, the National UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the adaptation of existing humanitarian hub information management approaches for collecting, analysing and reporting activities and resources, and identifying information gaps.
- Support the establishment and maintainance of information databases that consolidate, analyse and report/disseminate information critical to decision making.
- Provide support to the maintenance of weekly, bi weekly and monthly reporting from agency responses, including 5Ws (‘Who does What, Where, When and for Whom?’) databases.
- Provide support to the identification of information gaps at county and humanitarian hub levels and propose ways to bridge those gaps
- Support the Hub Coordination Lead, County Governments and partners to develop appropriate supportive strategies.
- Use GIS mapping for map production and geographic data management as appropriate
- Adopt and promote the use of global standards for information management for inter-operability.
- Provide support to the management of flows of information and dissemination in an appropriate way, including for online management.
- Maintain an inventory of relevant documents on the humanitarian situation and support dissemination
- Support the development and analysis of needs assessment and monitoring programmes
- Provide information management support to joint assessments and monitoring, including joint assessments and training.
- Provide support to the preparation of SitRep inputs with emphasis on section plans, targets and achievements.
- Strengthen information management capacity through training and skills tranfer
- Provide support to the analysis to identify and address emerging gaps, obstacles, duplication, and cross-cutting issues.
- Provide support to the hub in promoting prioritization, grounded in response analysis
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- University degree in a subject area relevant to information management
Required experience:Experience remark:
- 0-2 years relevant experience with UN and/or NGO, including information management in emergency response is an asset. Relevant work experience outside the humanitarian sector which is relevant to this post may be considered as a replacement for humanitarian experience. A mininimum of one year experience is an advantage.
- Formal training in information management an added advantage
- Knowledge and experience of local conditions in the North Eastern region of Kenya is desired
- Basic understanding of logical framework approach and different types of indicators (baseline and output especially), basic understanding of the project cycle management (especially monitoring and evaluation steps)
- Basic understanding of humanitarian approach, humanitarian reform, transformative agenda and roles of each humanitarian actor (Government, Clusters, organizations). The ability to support assessment processes is an advantage
- Strong abilities to proactively share ideas through information management networks and promote synergies with other organizations and communicate key messages to different audiences.
- Diplomatic skills and able to establish and maintain excellent working relations with partners in order to collect information. Understanding of the data and information virtuous cycle
- Ability to perform several tasks in a timely manner with a focus on quality
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel or MS Access (e.g. pivot tables and functions); proven technical expertise for managing data capture and storage, for analysing diverse datasets, and presenting information in understandable tables, charts, graphs and reports; knowledge of establishing and managing basic websites; proven skills in using map-making packages, data visualision (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI), web design and software development are an asset.
- Age limit: 18-24 years
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Kiswahili(Optional), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Other information and telecommunications technology experience
Area of expertise details:
Information Management in emergency operations
Basic knowledge of project cycle management
Driving license: No
Accountability, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.